Synod of Bishops on the Family 2014
Family life is the focus of an extraordinary general session of the Synod of Bishops that will meet at the Vatican between 5-19 October 2014.
Around 150 Synod fathers will take part in the meeting to discuss the "pastoral challenges of the family in the context of evangelization." It is expected to last two weeks.
This is only the third 'extraordinary' synod since Pope Paul VI reinstituted synods in 1965. According to the Code of Canon Law, an “extraordinary general session” of the synod is held to “deal with matters which require a speedy solution.”
The second stage focusing on this important subject will be the 2015 Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops.
A major part of our preparation for the Extraordinary Synod on the Family in 2014 is to encourage you to complete a Vatican questionnaire.
You can actively participate by clicking on the link below:
But first, please take some time to prepare...
We would really value your responses to this questionnaire on family life but there are a few points to note before taking part.
To complete the survey in full could take 30 minutes or more so we'd strongly recommend you download and use the pro-forma word document, located below, to prepare your responses before.
Synod Response Pro Forma 119.5 KB (Word doc)
- The survey has 45 questions/opportunities to give your feedback.
- A few of the early questions are short answer, tick box or selections from a drop-down, however most allow for a full text response.
- Please fill in the initial information fields as fully as possible - particularly 'diocese/ordinariate' field if applicable.
- Although we'd encourage a full response, it's not necessary to answer every question, please skip questions you feel unable to answer.
- You can also simply send a completed pro-forma directly to email@example.com
The current deadline for submissions is 30 January 2014.
The Lineamenta - or preparatory document - for the 2014 extraordinary general session of the Synod of Bishops on the family gives more information on the Vatican meeting that will examine the "Pastoral Challenges to the Family in the Context Of Evangelization".
Here's a summary of the contents of the Lineamenta.
I. Synod: Family and Evangelization
II. The Church and the Gospel on the Family
- The Plan of God, Creator and Redeemer
- The Church's Teaching on the Family
- The Diffusion of the Teachings on the Family in Sacred Scripture and the Church’s Magisterium
- Marriage according to the Natural Law
- The Pastoral Care of the Family in Evangelization
- Pastoral Care in Certain Difficult Marital Situations
- On Unions of Persons of the Same Sex
- The Education of Children in Irregular Marriages
- The Openness of the Married Couple to Life
- The Relationship Between the Family and the Person
- Other Challenges and Proposals
The Jerusalem Road Show - Lent 2017
The Experience of Cornelius (a first person account) I was a Roman Centurion bound by duty to enforce law and order. Contrary to common perception
Death as the parable of Life - Lent 2017
Jesus often taught in parables. The simplicity of a parable can often be deceptive. The familiar metaphor that it uses, can often lead us to presume we hav
Vision restored, Power and Glory revealed - Lent 2017
The Blind man at the pool of Siloam had heard about Jesus, but never personally heard him. Yet in his mind’s eye, he already had an image of him. So
Finding Oneself in Jesus: The Samaritan Woman - Lent 2017
“Come for water, all who are thirsty, though you have no money, come, buy wine and milk, not for money, not for a price. Why spend your money on what
Pain: the Antidote to Suffering - Lent 2017
“In you LORD, I take refuge, How can you say to me, Bird, fly back to your mountain.” (Psalm 11:1) The psalmist knows the hill country to be a