OFFICIAL CLARIFICATION - CBCI - May 2018
May 9, 2018
It has been brought to our notice by many people that a very malicious fake letter is being circulated in the social media and in Karnataka on the eve of the elections.
The purported fake letter is falsely attributed to Cardinal Oswald Gracias and as having been written by him to Archbishop Bernard Moras of Bangalore. The false letter makes wild allegations about the Church involvement in the Lingayat issue.
In this regard we wish to state:
1. We can assure you that this is a fake and malafide letter.
2. It will be noticed that the letter is not written on a letterhead.
3. The letter carries no signature.
4. The Catholic Bishops' Conference of India nor Cardinal Gracias will never ever indulge in divisive tactics as indicated in that letter.
5. The language mistakes in that letter point out that it could not have originated from our Office.
6. Cardinal Oswald Gracias is the President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India. He is not the Secretary General of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India, as alleged by those who are circulating the letter.
The circulation of this letter just before the Karnataka elections is a disgraceful mischievous ploy. We reserve the right to take legal action against those involved in making and promoting that letter.
We request our well-wishers to respond to the letter if it comes to them with this official clarification.
May God bless Karnataka and May God bless our beloved Country, India.
Bishop Theodore Mascarenhas, SFX
Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India
Other national News
Press Release by the Missionaries of Charity
PRESS RELEASE ON THE RECENT DEVELOPMENTS AT NIRMAL HRIDAY, MISSIONARIES OF CHARITY HOME AT E...
July 17, 2018
CCBI - New Laity Commission Secretary
Fr Anthony Fernandes New Laity Commission Secretary Bangalore 1 May, 2018: Fr Anthony J Fernande...
May 8, 2018
Press Release - CBCI
The Catholic Bishops' Conference of India expresses its deep pain and anguish at the incidents ag...
April 14, 2018
Cardinal Oswald meets Prime Minister Narendra Modi
New Delhi, 20-03-2018 The newly elected President of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of lndia...
March 20, 2018
Response of the Catholic Church to the Supreme Court ruling on Passive Euthanasia
The Church rejects any proposal concerning active euthanasia as well as passive euthanasia. No o...
March 10, 2018