Press Note on Mumbai Mirror article dated October 8, 2018
Oct. 8, 2018
THIS IS WITH REFERENCE TO THE ARTICLE PUBLISHED IN THE MUMBAI MIRROR OF OCTOBER 8, 2018: CATHOLIC GROUP UPSET AT CLERGYMEN SELLING BOOKS’
The abovementioned article carries several allegations without reference to the facts governing the functioning of the Archdiocese of Mumbai Charitable Foundation (AMCF). These are:
1. The Archdiocese of Mumbai Charitable Foundation (AMCF) is licensed under Section 8 of the Companies Act, 2013. A license under this Section is granted provided that the object of such an association is for promoting commerce, art, science, sports, education, research, social welfare, religion, charity, protection of environment or any such other object, provided the profits, if any, or other income is applied for promoting only the objects of the company and no dividend is paid to its members.
2. In simple words, Section 8 Company is registered for charitable or not-for-profit purposes. This Company is, however, similar to a Trust or Society; an exception is that a Section 8 Company is registered under the Central Government’s “Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA)” whereas the Societies and Trusts are registered under the State Government regulations. Like a Private Limited Company, a Section 8 Company can also have revenue, expenses, profits and losses. However, in a Section 8 Company, the profits can be used ONLY for the charitable or not-for-profit purposes mentioned in the Memorandum of Association AND no portion of the profits being distributed among its members.
3. AMCF is also registered under section 12AA of the Income Tax Act, 1961 vide certificate of registration issued by the Commissioner of Income Tax (Exemption), Mumbai and the company is granted registration as “Religious” trust w.e.f. A.Y.2015-2016.
4. The AMCF is actively engaged in disseminating faith-based catechesis, Catholic thought, Scripture reflections, Bible teachings, Catechetical literature, news and information about local, national and universal Church events, across all media platforms.
5. Supply of notebooks/stationary is not the core activity but an ancillary one. The aim and endeavor is to provide schoolbooks (stationery only) at economical/subsidized rates to all students in schools affiliated to the Archdiocese, as the majority of our students come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
6. The income earned by AMCF is applied and utilized only for the charitable objects of the Charitable Company by giving contributions / donations to the needy and deserving people as aid for education, medical and relief purposes.
7. During the Financial Year 2017-2018, AMCF has given Medical Donation to individuals, donations towards educational needs to schools and individual, and contributed towards the Mumbai Marathon in collaboration with the Centre for Social Action.
8. We would also like to place on record that when the Spokesperson for the Archdiocese of Bombay was contacted, he was not apprised of the allegations that were scheduled for publication in the article under reference.
Other diocesan News
Cardinal Oswald - Retired priests are 'burning furnaces of prayer'
Retired priests are “examples of burning furnaces of prayer” for the Church, says Ind...
April 25, 2019
OFFICIAL - EASTER 2019
Easter is with us once again, the feast of Light, Hope Peace and Love; of the victory of good ove...
April 21, 2019
EASTER VIGIL SERVICE 2019: CATHEDRAL OF THE HOLY NAME
His Eminence, Oswald Cardinal Gracias, Archbishop of Bombay, was Chief Celebrant at the Easter Vi...
April 20, 2019
THE INVITATION AND MEANING OF THE CROSS: GOOD FRIDAY AT THE CROSS MAIDAN, APRIL 19, 2019
The Cross Maidan, in Mumbai, a place where people from all faiths come to venerate and pray at th...
April 19, 2019
OFFICIAL - APPOINTMENTS I
Fr Anthony Charanghat :to be Rector, Cathedral of the Holy Name, Fort while continuing to be the ...
April 19, 2019